Help & Advice
Measuring up / how to measure guide
The best way to get your curtains just right is to install your tracks or poles before you measure up for your curtains. Start off by looking at your window to decide where you want your curtains to go. If the window sits in a recess, decide if you want the curtains hanging inside or outside of it. If you're putting your curtains in front or, if your window sits flush to the wall, place your poles and tracks 15cm above the window and extend by 15-20cm either side - this will make space for your curtains to be drawn back. If you're planning to have very full curtains, leave a few centimetres more to allow maximum light into your room.
- Measure the width across the top of the window, allowing enough space for your finials (the decorative ends attached to your pole)
- If space is tight and there's no room for finials, why not try stud ends or recess brackets?
- We can also offer you bay window solutions – contact us for more details
- If you want your curtains inside the recess, measure its width and ensure that your track is a couple of centimetres shorter
- We use aluminium tracks which can be cut to fit your space perfectly
- Tracks are ideal for use in bay windows as many track types can be easily made to fit your bay window perfectly. If you want your curtains to hang below the window sills we would recommend giving them clearance by fixing your tracks to a batten or choosing a pole with extended brackets instead
- Measure the total width of your track or pole (excluding the finials) – only measure the window if it runs wall-to-wall
- First choose how long you want your curtains and what heading type your're after
- If you have a pole, measure pencil & pinch pleat curtains from the top of the eye of your curtain ring and eyelet curtains from the top of the pole.
- If you have tracks, measure from the top of the track to the required drop length
- Sill length curtains should hang to about 1cm above the sill.
- If you prefer your curtains to hang below the sill, we would suggest allowing an extra 15cm
- Floor length curtains should finish 1cm above the floor but if you prefer a more opulent look, add an extra 20cm or so and the fabric will be 'puddled' on the floor
If your window is set into a recess, it needs to be 7.5cm deep in order to fit the headrail. Double-check how much space any window handles and hooks need and measure for the bind in front of them.
Measure both the width and the length of space to get the right dimensions. Remember to take measurements at different points and use centimetres if possible to ensure accuracy. If you prefer to hang your blind in front of the recess, position it as far above as you choose, then measure the inside of the recess crosswise and add a minimum of up to 4.5cm to each side.
Most of our customers visit our showroom to get an idea on fabrics and poles but, if you need assistance, we are happy to offer a home visit service. If you live within 15 miles of our showroom in Danehill, Sussex, we will visit you to either measure up, check your own measurements or advise on window treatments – all free of charge.
Please contact us to arrange an appointment.